COMMERCIAL Mooring Buoys

A Commercial Mooring Buoy refers to a buoy in which the owner or permit holder charges a fee or other form of consideration for use of the buoy to secure, berth or moor a vessel in the waters of the State.

The federal government requires that all Commercial Moorings go through the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (Corps) to register for a permit. The Maryland Department of the Environment (MDE) and the Corps file joint permits together. Therefore, the process should be started by contacting MDE - Tidal Wetland Division (410-537-3837).


If you have any questions regarding mooring buoys, please contact Jeannine Moaney, DNR Boating Services Unit at 410-260-8417.

Return to Mooring Buoys Home Page