2009-2018 Maryland White-tailed Deer Management Plan
The 2009 – 2018 Maryland Deer Management Plan provides the foundation for all deer management activities and decisions until 2018. In addition to the plan, deer managers produce annual reports on Maryland deer (both white-tailed and sika) populations and their management. The 2012-2013 Maryland Annual Deer Report can be found here. In addition, an archive of past deer reports can be found on this page.
Additional deer management resources can be found below:
- "An Evaluation of Deer Management Options"
This document was collectively developed by the New England Chapter of The Wildlife Society and the Northeast Deer Technical Committee. It was created in 1988 and was revised in 2009 by the Northeast Deer Technical Committee to include the latest information on the available deer management options.
- Deer Hunting: An Effective Management Tool
This webpage describes how hunting is used as an effective management tool as well as answers some commonly asked questions.
- Deer Hunting - A Valuable Deer Management Tool for Private Landowners
This webpage describes how hunting can be a useful management tool for private landowners.
- "The Opinions of Residents, Deer Hunters, and Landowners on Deer Management in Maryland" Volume 1 - Volume 2 - Volume 3
These collective documents are a result of surveys conducted by Responsive Management in 2007 for the Maryland Department of Natural Resources.
- Suburban Deer Management Conference 2011
This website provides information on the conference as well as presentations and resources as they relate to suburban deer management.
- DNR Refines Policy on Illegally Held Captive Deer
- Deer Data Collection Information
- Deer Damage Management Techniques
For more information, please contact:
Maryland Department of Natural Resources
Wildlife and Heritage Service
Tawes State Office Building, E-1
Annapolis, MD 21401
Toll-free in Maryland: 1-877-620-8DNR, Ext. 8540
- Deer Hunting Information
- Archery Hunter Survey
- Disabled Hunter Access
- Deer Management
- Deer Damage
- Deer Health and Diseases
- Deer Importation Regulations
- Technical Information
- Sika Deer
- Guide to Hunting & Trapping
- Hunter Education Classes
- Wildlife Management Areas
- Annual Report
- Deer Project Annual Report Archives
- Farmers and Hunters Feeding the Hungry
- Game Mammal Program
- Maryland Game Program
- Wildlife & Heritage Home