Casselman River Bridge State Park is a 4-acre parcel located east of Grantsville in Garrett County on U.S. Route 40. It is a popular area for fly fishermen, photographers, and history enthusiasts. When the 80-foot span was erected in 1813, it was the longest single span stone arch bridge in the United States. Skeptics predicted that the bridge would collapse once the supporting timbers were removed - yet the bridge stood, serving as an important link on the National Road from 1813 to 1933. Although the bridge no longer carries vehicular traffic, it is open to pedestrians.
Today the Casselman River Bridge stands as a picturesque relic of Maryland's early transportation history, and a tribute to those who designed and built the National Road. To the east of the bridge is the "Spruce Forest Artisan Village." The villageís historic buildings were moved from various locations in Western Maryland and restored on the site. They currently serve as studios for a variety of artists. Adjacent to Spruce Village are the Penn Alps restaurant and gift shop, a historic structure that dates to 1818, and Stantonís Mill, a working grist mill originally established in 1797.
- Pets are allowed in Casselman River Bridge State Park as long as they are on a leash under control of the owner.
- Picnicking - Several picnic tables are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Fishing - the Casselman River is a popular spot for fly-fishing. Please check the current Maryland Fishing Guide for special regulations.
- Restroom - There is a waterless restroom for visitor use.
- Alcohol Policy - Alcohol is not permitted anywhere in Casselman River Bridge State Park.
- Casselman River Bridge State Park is handicapped-accessible, featuring a paved walkway from the parking lot to the bridge, and an accessible picnic site, parking area, and restroom.
From Interstate 68, take exit 22 and turn north on US-219. At the first light, make a left onto National Highway/US- 40Alt. Follow two miles, pass Penn Alps, cross over Casselman River and make an immediate right into the parking lot.
Directions: From Interstate 68, take exit 22 and turn north on US-219. At the first light, make a left onto National Highway/US- 40Alt. Follow two miles, pass Penn Alps, cross over Casselman River and make an immediate right into the parking lot.
Casselman River Bridge State Park
10240 National Pike
Grantsville MD 21536
Hours of Operation
8 a.m. to Sunset
Certain activities are permitted outside of the regular park hours (e.g. fishing, boat launch, hunting where permitted). Please check with the park before your visit if you plan to engage in an activity which requires you to be in the park before or after the posted hours.
Contact the Park Service
- Toll Free: 1-800-830-3974
- Reservations: 1-888-432-2267
- Park Watch: 1-800-825-7275
- Email Us