Retired Law Enforcement Officers
As you know, the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2004 exempts qualified retired Law Enforcement Officers from State and local laws prohibiting the carrying of concealed firearms. Please note that it does NOT supercede the laws of any State that prohibit or restrict possession of firearms on any State or local property, installation, building, base, or park.
The purpose of this web site is to provide Retired NRP Law Enforcement Officers the forms and information they need to qualify under the ACT to carry their firearms.
Briefly, officers need to carefully read the ACT posted on this site, download, fill-out and notarize the Application for Certification to Carry a Concealed Firearm, call the NRP Training Academy (410 643-5773) to schedule an appointment to complete a two hour classroom session and range qualification.
STEPS TO OBTAINING YOUR IDENTIFICATION CARD
- Click on Application, print fill-out and have the Application notarized.
- Telephone the NRP Training Academy at 410 643-5773 and request an appointment on the next available range date to complete the two hour classroom training session and live fire range qualification.
- Arrive at the Hillsboro (Area 2 office building on time (410) 758-2874). Bring the Application. Bring your retired ID. Leave your (unloaded) firearm, holster, at least one extra magazine if a semi-automatic, and at least 100 rounds of ammunition secure in your vehicle. Firearm and holsters will be inspected, at this time soft in belt holsters will not pass inspection. The course will require weak-hand shooting and kneeling.
- You will be provided a liability waiver to sign at the conclusion of the classroom session. You will also be provided a MPCTC Documentation of Police Officer Annual Firearms Training and Re-Qualification for Retired Police Officers form to complete. You will need the make and model of your firearm.
- The classroom session will cover safety, weapon security, legal issues, care and cleaning, and fundamentals of marksmanship. There will be a short written test.
- Then, at the range, you will complete two 50 round qualification courses a day and a low light course. Upon successful qualification, individual photographs will be taken. You will then be issued an ID stating that you are a qualified retired Law Enforcement Officer under the ACT. The ID will also show your expiration date of range qualification (12 months) and whether you qualified with a revolver, semi-automatic, or both.
- You need only fill out the application once. In a year, or less, you will schedule another range and class appointment, and be issued a new card.
- 09/15/14 - NRP Charges Two Men with Illegal Hunting in Allegany and Frederick Counties
- 09/09/14 - NRP Continues Its “Don’t Get Pinched” Campaign to Catch Illegal Crabbers
- 09/08/14 - NRP Charges 10 Men with Riding Off-Road Vehicles on Protected State Land
- 09/05/14 - NRP, Coast Guard Shut Down Three Kent Island Charter Boats
- 09/03/14 - NRP Reports Labor Day Holiday Celebrated Safely
- 08/27/14 - NRP Blotter
- 08/18/14 - NRP Responds to Two Serious Boating Accidents
- 08/12/14 - NRP Blotter
- 08/04/14 - NRP’s “Don’t Get Pinched” Campaign Nets Violators Across Maryland
- 08/04/14 - NRP Blotter
- 08/01/14 - Two Tilghman Island Watermen Plead Guilty to Poaching Striped Bass
- 07/21/14 - NRP Wins Conservation, Boating Court Cases
- 07/17/14 - NRP Blotter
- 06/26/14 - NRP Blotter
- 05/14/14 - NRP Blotter
- 04/07/14 - Governor O’Malley Lauds NRP Oyster Enforcement Efforts
- 03/31/14 - Two Watermen Charged with Harvesting Oysters in a Sanctuary
- 03/26/14 - NRP Blotter
- 03/25/14 - Eastern Shore Waterman Charged with Oyster Poaching for the Fifth Time
- 03/24/14 - Silver Spring Man Found Guilty of Poaching 228 Undersized Striped Bass
- 03/24/14 - NRP Blotter
- 03/21/14 - NRP Charges Crisfield Waterman with Seven Oyster Violations
- 03/20/14 - NRP Charges Two Watermen with Harvesting Oysters from a Sanctuary
- 03/17/14 - NRP Arrests Four Watermen with Help from State Police Helicopter
- 03/13/14 - NRP Blotter
- 03/12/14 - Oyster Poachers Found Guilty with Help of New Radar Network
- 03/07/14 - NRP Charges Five with Oyster Poaching
- 01/16/14 - NRP Seizes Virginia Tractor-Trailer Carrying 50 Bushels of Undersized Oysters
- 01/10/14 - Montgomery County resident offers $1,000 reward through NRP for leads in bald eagle killing
- 01/07/14 - NRP Blotter
General Information: 410-260-8880
Boating & Hunter