Welcome to our monitoring and research page. We will update this page at least annually with our research findings. We will also post events, such as a bass round table discussion that will be open to the public and allow MD DNR researchers to present data on the black bass fishery.
Our 2014 Standard Operating Procedure documents how we conduct our sampling.
Want our E-News? We can keep you notified of upcoming issues with largemouth bass or provide you an e-copy of our annual newsletter.
Our research program involves both monitoring populations and conducting research projects relevant to our stakeholders.
- Distribution of LMBV and other pathogens.
- Juvenile Populations.
- Adult Populations. We target at least 6 major rivers of the Chesapeake Bay watershed and survey upstream tributaries.
- Archived Studies. Many of our earlier studies have been archived, here's a list.
- Recent Studies. Visit the links below for more information on any question of interest to you.
Black Bass Annual Review (BBAR)
Reports and Publications
- Summary of 2013 Tournament Creel Surveys
- The Mighty Yough - a wild and scenic masterpiece
- Public Comment Record for Draft Tidal Largemouth Bass Management Plan
- Write-up - Live Well Maintenance
- 2012 Tidal River Black Bass Tournament Results
- Write-up - Fishing for Snakeheads: Control of an Invasive Species
- Write-up - Best Fall Fishing
- The Effects of Soft Plastic Lures (pdf)
- 2011 Tidal Bass Stockings (pdf)
- Largemouth Bass Virus Document
- Wicomico River (2011) Report
- Middle River Tagging
- Write up - Potential Impacts of Northern Snakehead on Largemouth Bass Populations in the Potomac River
- Write up - 2010 Fall Survey Results (pdf)
- Summary of 2010 Tournament Creel Surveys
- Spawning Habits
- Mattawoman Bass Kill report June 2009
- Is Chlorine in Live Wells a Problem?
- Electrofishing Facts Sheet
- Movement and Home Range of Largemouth Bass
- Inland Fishes of Maryland
- Nesting Boxes - Choptank River
- Sanctuaries in the Potomac River
- Stocking Largemouth Bass 2010
- Thermal Tolerance of Largemouth Bass
- Public Comments Collected Regarding Tournament Permitting Proposal
- Habitat Suitability Model for Largemouth Bass (request reprint)
- Will the expansion of Northern Snakehead negative affect the Largemouth Bass fishery? (request reprint)
We survey most major streams of Marylandís tidal watershed.
Got a Question or Comment? Would you like to participate in a study or do you have a suggestion for a study? CLICK HERE.